Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Bookish Mardi: Nicholas Sparks' "Safe Haven"

"Starting over is exactly what a person's needs. And I think it's admirable. A lot of people don't have the courage it takes to do something like that."
- Jo


Photo from Web
When a mysterious young woman named Katie appears in the small North Carolina town of Southport, her sudden arrival raises questions about her past. Beautiful yet self-effacing, Katie seems determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events draws her into two reluctant relationships: one with Alex, a widowed store owner with a kind heart and two young children; and another with her plainspoken single neighbor, Jo. Despite her reservations, Katie slowly begins to let down her guard, putting down roots in the close-knit community and becoming increasingly attached to Alex and his family. But even as Katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts and terrifies her . . . a past that set her on a fearful, shattering journey across the country, to the sheltered oasis of Southport. With Jo's empathic and stubborn support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of transient safety and one of riskier rewards . . . and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven.


 Remarkable Lines from the story 
"Life was unpredictable and scary and that things could go bad in an instant." - Alex
"Friendship has been the bedrock of their marriage." 

"Sometimes, when I'm with someone, other issues come up. That's what I've been dealing lately. Because sometimes,  people need help in other ways, too." - Jo

"Everyone has story." - Jo

"Trust me on this: no one is better off alone." - Jo


"Because everybody lies. It's part of living in society. . . I think it's necessary. The last thing anyone wants is to live in a society where total honesty prevails. Can you imagine the conversations? You're short and fat, one person might say, and other might answer, I know. But you smell bad. It just wouldn't work. So people lie by omission all the time. People will tell you most of the story. . . I've learned the part they neglect to tell you is often the most important part. People hide the truth because they are afraid." -  Jo

"That's what courage is. If she weren't scared, she wouldn't need courage in the first place." - Jo

"That's the thing about life. A lot of the time, it isn't easy at all. We just have to try to make the best out of it." - Alex

"He was the kind of man she knew she could fall for."

"All he knew for sure was that right here and now, he was falling for this woman, and he could only pray that she was feeling the same way."


"Every one  has past, but that's just it - it's in the past. You can learn from it, but you can't change it." - Alex

"I wanted to go out from the first moment I saw you. I just had to wait until you were ready." - Alex

"He would love her no matter what she told him, and that he was kind of man who loved her already and would love her forever."

"It's not perfect, but trust me, I'm not perfect, either, so maybe it's best if we take all of this one at a time. And when you're ready, if you're ever ready, I'll be waiting. I love you, Katie. You might not be ready to say those words now, and maybe you'll never be able to say them, but that doesn't change how I feel about you." - Alex

"There's nothing you can tell me that will change how I feel about you. NOTHING." - Alex

Little girls. They could melt the toughest hearts.”  - Alex

"There were people who added goodness to the world and people who lived to destroy it." - Katie

Katie: We were getting to know each other.
Jo: That's how every relationship starts. ^^

“Maybe I don't want to be defined by what I do. Maybe I'd like to be defined by what I am.”- Katie

"A good man is hard to find. Not everyone is lucky as you are." - Jo

"When I was a kid, I used to make believe that I was a princess. One of the good ones, I mean. Someone who always does the right thing and has the power to make people's lives better so that, in the end, they live happily ever after." - Jo

". . .in the end, people who are grieving have to want to move on - that first step, that motivating spark, has to come from within them." - Jo

"Love doesn't mean anything if you're not willing to make a commitment and you have to think not only about what you want, but about what he wants. Not just now, but in the future." - Jo

"People, he'd learned, were predictable."  - Kevin

"I'm not sure anyone's life turns out exactly the way they imagine. All we can do is to make the best of it. Even when it's impossible." -Alex

"The man who commits adultery is an utter fool, for he destroys his own soul." - Kevin

"Dirty and cheating were linked because cheating was dirty." - Alex

"There are dreams that visit us and leave us fulfilled upon waking, there are dreams that make life worth living." - Carly Jo

"My life  is infinitely better for having you in it." - Carly Jo

". . . I truly believe that while love can hurt, love can also heal." - Carly Jo

". . .nothing wonderful lasted forever." - Katie

"It's never too late to do the right thing." - Jo

"Every couple needs to argue now and then. Just to prove that the relationship is strong enough to survive it." -Jo

"Long term relationships -  the ones that matter - are all about weathering the peaks and the valleys." - Jo

"Who knows what the future might bring, right?" - Katie

"The subconcsious mind has the power to put together pieces that the conscious mind might miss." - Katie

"In the Bible there was always fire because it purified and condemned." - Kevin
 
"The creation of imaginary friends was common among children." - Katie


. . .from the letter of Carly Jo to Katie
"I've come to believe that in everyone's life, there's one undeniable moment of change, a set of circumstances that suddenly alters everything."

"My name, as you probably know, is Carly, but for most of my life, my friends called me JO."

"He's my dream and my companion, my lover and my friend. He's devoted father, but more than that, he's my  ideal husband."

"If you love Alex now, then  love him forever. Make him laugh again, and cherish the time you spend together. Take walks and ride your bikes, curl up on the couch and watch movies beneath a blanket. Make him breakfast, but don't spoil him. Let him make breakfast for you as well, so he can show you he thinks you are special. Kiss him and make love to him, and consider yourself lucky for having met him, for he's the kind of man who'll prove you right."

"Please. I beg you, do these things for me. After all, they are your family now, not mine."

"Love can sometimes achieve the impossible." - Nicholas Sparks ^^

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...